Travel on National Forest Land


Travel on Nebraska National Forests & Grasslands: Including Bessey Ranger District near Halsey, McKelvie National Forest near Valentine, Pine Ridge Ranger District near Chadron, and Oglala National Grasslands near Crawford.

  • All motorized travel is restricted to designated roads or trails
  • Routes are officially designated “open” or “closed” for motorized travel
  • Cross-country or off-road use is prohibited
  • Only Exceptions are if designated open, or unless it is officially allowed by permit  

Motor Vehicle Use Map - Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) are the primary tool to determine where you can drive on the forest! 

  • MVUMs show routes, roads or trails as either open or closed
  • MVUMs show allowed uses by vehicle class (i.e. highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), seasonal allowances, distance allowances
  • MVUMs provide information on other travel rules and regulations. 
  • MVUMs are for legal designations to guide travel with various motorized vehicles.  They have no topographic features and are best used with a Forest Visitor Map or other detailed map. 
  • MVUMs are black and white maps and free to the public from all District Offices, the Supervisors office, or online.  MVUMs may also be requested by calling or writing the Supervisor’s Office, 125 N. Main St, Chadron, NE 69337, (308) 432-0300
  • The Public is responsible for using MVUMs to stay on designated routes for motor vehicle use.  
  • Designated Routes identified on the MVUM for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground.
  • Routes not shown on the MVUM are not open to public motor vehicle travel
  • MVUMs are updated annually to assure optimal travel decisions.
  • Motor vehicle use for big game retrieval and dispersed camping is allowed within 300 feet of most roads and trails that are designated open.


Areas & Activities