Sliding Rock Recreation Area
REOPENS APRIL 30, 2022
Sliding Rock is a 60 foot natural water slide that ends in a 8 foot deep pool of water, with 2 observation platforms, operated by Adventure Pisgah. The area is open 365 days a year, weather and water levels permitting, but only has restrooms available seven days a week April 30-October 9, then weekends only October 15-30. Lifeguards are present everyday May 2-September 15. When not staffed, there are no lifeguards and restrooms are closed.
This is a heavily-used recreation area; come early and try to avoid visiting during the peak hours of noon-4 pm. Periodically, the parking area fills up and will be closed until spaces become available. Plan to visit other nearby areas such as Looking Glass Falls or the Cradle of Forestry and come back to Sliding Rock later.
Sliding Rock may close due to heavy rainfall and high water levels. Picnicking and alcohol are prohibited at Sliding Rock. Picnic at nearby Pink Beds, four miles away. Or, find riverside tables along US 276.
Visitors can check the Adventure Pisgah website and Instagram (@slidingrocknc) for information and area status updates.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||REOPENS APRIL 30, 2022|
|Reservations:||No reservations taken|
|Rentals & Guides:||Personal floatation devices available for rent in the parking area but are not required.|
|Area Amenities:||Interpretive Site,Accessible,Fee charged for some activities,Toilets,Drinking water,Parking|
|Fees:||A daily fee $5 per person. Cash, checks and credit cards accepted.|
|Open Season:||Late April/early May - Late October|
|Restrictions:||No Alcohol or Picnicking Permitted.|
|Closest Towns:||Brevard, NC|
|Operated By:||Adventure Pisgah|
From Brevard, take US 64 E to US 276. Turn left and follow US 276N for 8 miles. Located on left.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
|Interpretive Site:||Area information, health and safety tips, and guidelines to help protect the natural environment|
|Fee charged for some activities:||$5 per person entry when staffed; restrooms open when fee is charged|
|Accessible:||Restrooms and parking|
Alerts & Warnings
- Cheoah River, Cochran’s Creek River Access Facility Temporarily Closed
- Fontana Loop Trail TR157 and Portions of Bee Cove TR421 Temporarily Closed
- Point Lookout Trail will temporarily close for repairs beginning August 8, 2022
- Linville Gorge Camping Permits Required for Summer Weekends
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest