Brice's Creek Trail
The Saltwater Adventure Trail includes Brice's Creek and is unique in that it is the only national forest saltwater trail in the nation. It is a water-based trail that displays the unique ecosystems and history of the eastern coastal tidelands. The trip provides visits to several points of interest, is suitable for novices, and can take as long as seven days. The route is approximately 100 miles long and nearly circumvents the Croatan National Forest. Recreational opportunities are numerous. The focus of this trail is adventure, exploration, accessibility and a unique setting. Many of the features along the trail can also be accessed by car.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Year round.|
|Closest Towns:||New Bern, Pollocksville|
|Operated By:||USDA-Forest Service, Croatan National Forest|
General InformationDirections: Travel south of New Bern on US 70 East. Go over the Trent River Bridge about 1.5 miles. Turn right at the first craven Regional Airport sign and turn left onto SR 1004 (Madam Moore's Lane). Go 1.7 miles, then turn left on SR 1143 (Perrytown Road). Go 1.5 miles, turn left at the Brice's Creek sign and go 1 mile on dirt road. The canoe trail begins and ends at the boat ramp. A Brice's Creek brochure can be obtained at the Croatan District Office, New Bern, NC 252/638-5628.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
River and Stream FishingFishing in Brice's Creek is availble.
|Fish Species||Catfish, Bluegills, Redbreast Sunfish, Largemouth Bass, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, Bo|
|Fishing Mode||Boat, Canoe|
|Fishing Method||Bait, lure|
|Difficulty Level:||Easy to Intermediate|
Viewing WildlifeThis trail has lots of water and bird species to view.
Boating - Motorized
Boating - Non-Motorized
Alerts & Warnings
- Point Lookout Trail will temporarily close for repairs beginning August 8, 2022
- Linville Gorge Camping Permits Required for Summer Weekends
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest