The Neusiok Trail winds more than 20 miles from a sandy beach on the Neuse River to a salt marsh on the Newport River.
The trail from Pine Cliff Recreation Area to Highway 306 is temporarily closed due to the impacts of Hurricane Florence.
In between, the trail crosses cypress swamps, hardwood ridges, longleaf pine savannah and pocosin- shrubby bogs common to the Carolina coast. Look for signs of those who walked this way before- from Native Americans to early settlers, woodsmen and moonshiners.
The Neusiok Trail is part of the 900-mile Mountains-to-Sea Trail that begins in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and ends in Jockey Ridge State Park at the ocean. The Mountains-to-Sea Trail is blazed with white circles.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Year round.|
|Restrictions:||Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times.|
|Closest Towns:||Havelock, Newport, Beaufort, Morehead City|
|Operated By:||USDA-Forest Service, Croatan National Forest|
To south terminus, Oyster Point: From Newport, follow Chatham St. for 2.8 miles to Market St. and turn left. Follow Market St. to Mill Creek Road. (SR 1154). Go 7.1 miles to Oyster Point Road (FR 181). Turn right for one mile. To north terminus: From Havelock, turn onto NC 101 and go 5.3 miles to Ferry Road (NC 306). Turn left and drive 2 miles to gravel parking lot on the right.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Small Game Hunting
Alerts & Warnings
- Pisgah RD: Partial closure of FSR 475B Headwaters Road
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest