Jackrabbit Mountain Recreation Area
Open May through September, Jackrabbit Mountain Recreation Area lies on a peninsula of Lake Chatuge – a TVA reservoir that boasts more than 130 miles of shoreline. This destination recreation area offers a large campground and numerous day use activities such as swimming, picnicking, mountain biking and hiking trails, fishing and motorized boating access to the lake.
Sleep under the Stars.Three campground loops offer 92 wooded sites, most of which provide views of Lake Chatuge. Several sites in Loops A and B can accommodate RVs, but no hook-ups are available. Registered campers may access the on-site RV dump station. Reserve a site at visit www.recreation.gov or by calling (877) 444-6777. A few sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each campsite has a picnic table, fire ring and lantern post. Accessible flush toilets, hot showers and drinking water are available. In the campground, a large picnic pavilion offers lakeside views and room to gather.
Follow the Trail. Ride your mountain bike along the area’s 15-mile stacked-loop system. Many of the trails border Lake Chatuge, while others meander through the woods or ridge-top. These trails appeal to riders of all skill levels.
If you are interested in hiking, try the Jackrabbit Mountain Trail. With a trailhead just outside the campground, this 2.4-mile easy trail loops through open woods and offers glimpses of Lake Chatuge.
Get in the Water. At Jackrabbit Mountain Recreation Area, a designated swimming area and sandy beach are surrounded by picnic tables on a large grassy lawn. A picnic pavilion offers group picnicking with views of the lake. A short trail connects the campground and beach. The lake is filled with a bounty of fish ranging from spotted, white and striped bass to catfish, crappie and sun-fish. Launch your boat and fish from the lake, or try the accessible fishing pier located near the swim beach.
Don’t have a boat? There are several marinas to rent boats and other small craft. For details, call the Clay County Chamber of Commerce at (828) 389-3704.
Be Safe.Your safety is your own responsibility.
At a Glance
|Reservations:||This is a reservation only campground. Walk-ins are limited to a day by day basis and will have to pay by envelope.|
|Fees:||Camping fees: $20 a night for single sites; $40 a night for double sites Jackrabbit Beach: $5/vehicle; $30 annual pass|
|Open Season:||May 1 - September 30|
From Asheville: Take I-40W to exit 27 and exit onto US 19/23/74. Travel southwest past Sylva and exit onto US 23/441 toward Franklin. In Franklin, take US 64W and travel 31 miles to NC 175. Turn left, and go 2.5 miles on NC 175. Turn right on SR 1155 to the recreation area.
From Hayesville:Take US 64E for 6.2 miles. Turn right onto NC 175, and go 2.5 miles. Turn right on SR 1155.
From Hiawassee, GA: Take GA-75N for about 3.5 miles to the NC/GA state line, where it turns into NC 175. Proceed 1.5 miles and turn left onto SR 1155.
Tusquitee Ranger District
123 Woodland Drive
Murphy, NC 28906
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Mountain BikingRecreation areas with activity Mountain Biking:
Campground CampingRecreation areas with activity Campground Camping:
Jackrabbit Mountain Recreation Area offers picnicking, swimming, boating and fishing. Three loops with 100 sites for tent or trailer camping are available. The campground is suited for car camping. No hook-ups are available for RV's.
- Each site has a picnic table, fire grill, tent platform and parking spur.
- A two-vehicle-wide boat ramp where boats are launched into Chatuge Lake.
- Accessible Flush toilets, hot showers and drinking water are available.
- Two picnic shelters are provided.
Lake and Pond FishingRecreation areas with activity Lake and Pond Fishing:
Chatuge Lake offers fishing activities. Accessible Pier available.
Day HikingRecreation areas with activity Day Hiking:
- Burnt Tree Peninsula #753, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
- Burrell Cove #756, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
- Central Loop #750, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
- High Point #755, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
- Saba Beach #757, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
- Saba Beach Spur #757A, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
- Sneaking Creek #752, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
- Upper Ridge #751, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
- Yotee's Run #754, Jackrabbit Mtn Rec Area
PicnickingRecreation areas with activity Picnicking: Each camp site has a picnic table and fire grill. Two picnic shelters are provided.
Boating - MotorizedRecreation areas with activity Boating - Motorized: A two-vehicle-wide boat ramp, where boats are launched into Chatuge Lake, is available.
Boating - Non-MotorizedRecreation areas with activity Boating - Non-Motorized: A two-vehicle-wide boat ramp, where boats are launched into Chatuge Lake, is available.
SwimmingRecreation areas with activity Swimming:
Swimming beach on Chatuge Lake.
Alerts & Warnings
- Cheoah RD: NCDOT highway improvements will affect AT users
- Croatan NF: Two Roads Closed for Visitor Safety and Maintenance
- Cheoah RD: Fontana Loop Trail TR15, Portions of Bee Cove TR421 Temporarily Close
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest