Hanging Dog Recreation Area
Hanging Dog Campground will not re-open. For more information see this news release.
Day use facilities on Hiwassee Lake remain open.
Just five miles from Murphy, N.C., Hanging Dog Recreation Area is a great destination for a scenic drive or for a day outing with family and friends.
Get in the Water. Hanging Dog Recreation Area offers year-round access to Hiwassee Lake. A popular place for fishing and boating, you’ll find plenty of places along Hiwassee’s 180-mile shore to relax and cast a line. From June through October, launch your motor boat from the ramp at the end of State Road (SR) 1447. Between the months of November and June, Ramsey Bend boat launch on FR 652F, approximately 1.5 miles off of SR 1447, provides deep-water access. Water skiing and kayaking are also popular on Hiwassee Lake. For an adventure, try kayaking on Hiwassee River and Lake between Murphy and Hanging Dog. An accessible fishing pier, to the left just before the end of SR 1447, offers additional angler access. There are no swimming facilities at this recreation area.
Practice these safety tips when enjoying water activities:
- Wear a life jacket
- Never go boating under the influence
- Supervise children
- Learn CPR
- Learn safe boating practices
Check out the Sites. View the scenery from a picnic table overlooking the lake. A large pavilion provides a place for groups to gather for a meal. Restrooms with vault toilets are nearby. Stretch your legs and explore the forest along two 1-mile trails. The Mingus Trail starts at the upper boat ramp parking lot and ends at a trailhead shared with the Ramsey Bluff Trail off SR 1447. Ramsey Bluff Trail offers views of Hiwassee Lake. If you are interested in Cherokee Indian history, imagine the village that once lay where the lake is now. In the 1830s, the historic Trail of Tears passed nearby.
Follow the Trail. In the Hanging Dog area, there are several opportunities for mountain biking. Hike or ride your mountain bike on the moderately-difficult Ramsey Bluff Mountain Biking System that provides 8 miles of trails. Plenty of trailhead parking is provided at the end of SR 1447.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Hanging Dog Campground will not re-open. For more information see this news release. Day use facilities on Hiwassee Lake remain open.|
To reach Hanging Dog, travel about 5 miles on SR 1326 north of Murphy. Area is located on Hiwassee Lake.
Tusquitee Ranger District
123 Woodland Drive
Murphy, NC 28906
Mountain BikingRecreation areas with activity Mountain Biking:
Lake and Pond FishingRecreation areas with activity Lake and Pond Fishing: Hiwassee Lake offers fishing activities. Pier available.
Day HikingRecreation areas with activity Day Hiking:
- Farmer Top Overlook #622, Hanging Dog Rec Area
- Nottely River Connector #623, Hanging Dog Rec Area
- Ramsey Bend Connector #619, Hanging Dog Rec Area
- Ramsey Bend North #620, Hanging Dog Rec Area
- Ramsey Bend South #621, Hanging Dog Rec Area
- Ramsey Bluff #81, Hanging Dog Rec Area
PicnickingRecreation areas with activity Picnicking: Picnicking available.
|Fire Information||Grill available.|
Group PicnickingRecreation areas with activity Group Picnicking: Offers group picnicking area.
Alerts & Warnings
- Point Lookout Trail will temporarily close for repairs beginning August 8, 2022
- Linville Gorge Camping Permits Required for Summer Weekends
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest