THIS TRAIL IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.
ALERT: Ever since the US Forest Service acquired Catawba Falls, plans have been in motion to get visitors safely from the trailhead to the upper falls. The 9-12 month closure of the Catawba Falls Trail, from May 2, 2022 through spring 2023, is necessary for the next phase of improvements focused on visitor safety and accessibility. We appreciate your understanding as this popular waterfall is closed this season. Visitors to Old Fort will have new trails to enjoy near Curtis Creek this summer! Explore other great destinations in McDowell County by visiting www.blueridgetraveler.com.
Follow this trail along the scenic headwaters of the Catawba River for a 4 mile round trip hike to the beautiful 100ft cascading waterfall. Historic buildings are scattered along the trail, remnants of the 1920's hydropower dam that provided power for the town of Old Fort. This hike does require several stream crossings. Be sure to wear solid boots to prevent from slipping and getting wet!
The trailhead can be accessed from Catawba River Road in Old Fort. For more information contact the Grandfather Ranger District at (828) 652-2144.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- Cheoah RD: NCDOT highway improvements will affect AT users
- Croatan NF: Two Roads Closed for Visitor Safety and Maintenance
- Cheoah RD: Fontana Loop Trail TR15, Portions of Bee Cove TR421 Temporarily Close
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Catawba Falls Trail closed October 24-28
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest