Big Snowbird Trail #64
The Big Snowbird Trail is accessed from the Snowbird community area by following Snowbird Road, #1115 off Route 143, then taking Big Snowbird Road #1120 to the end at a trailhead called the “Junction”.
From the “Junction” trailhead, the Big Snowbird Trail stays on the south side of the creek for 0.5 miles to a junction with the Snowbird Mountain Trail, then generally follows the creek a further 3.0 miles to a junction with the Sassafras Creek Trail. Continuing further 1.1 miles past Big Falls it reaches a trail junction with Trail 64A, the Middle Falls Trail, a high water alternative that rejoins the Big Snowbird Trail a mile further. The Big Snowbird Trail continues for 1.0 miles, passing Middle Falls to the junction with the Burntrock Ridge Trail and a bit further rejoins the Middle Falls Trail. For the next 5.9 miles, the Big Snowbird Trail follows the stream, with frequent crossings, until reaching a junction with the Mitchell Lick Trail. The Big Snowbird Trail then turns westerly and goes uphill 0.3 miles to a junction with the Snowbird Mountain Trail at Mitchell Lick. The Trail then turns northwesterly for 0.6 miles to the state line, then turns northeasterly and skirting Laurel Top reaching the termination at Big Junction.
Trail Length: 12.7 Miles
Difficulty: Very Strenuous
Average Hiking Times: 10-12 Hours
Alerts & Warnings
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest