Snowbird Mountain Trail #415
The Snowbird Mountain Trail is accessed from the Snowbird community area by following Snowbird Road, #1115 off Route 143, then taking Big Snowbird Road #1120 to the end at a trailhead called the “Junction”.
From the “Junction” trailhead, follow the Big Snowbird Trail just a short way and then follow the Snowbird Mountain Trail, turning sharply to the east and climb to Sassafras Ridge. After turning south and then westerly, the Snowbird Mountain Trail generally follows the southern and south-western border of the Snowbird Back County Area, with frequent ups and downs for 6.0 miles to a generally indistinct junction with the Sassafras Creek Trail at the Graham County/Cherokee County line. The trail then follows the county line mostly northerly, again over numerous ups and downs, for 3.4 miles until terminating at a junction with the Big Snowbird Trail at Mitchell Lick.
Trail Length: 9.4 Miles
Difficulty: Very Strenuous
Average Hiking Times: 10 Hours either direction
Alerts & Warnings
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest