Wood Run Mountain Bike Trails
As of spring 1998, there are three main routes open to mountain bikes in the Wood Run Area of the Uwharrie National Forest.
1. Wood Run Road:
Wood Run Camp, a small open field, is located 1.4 miles down this road from the trailhead. There is a gated and graveled road leading out from the NC 24/27 trailhead parking lot. Riding out and back is 11 miles. There is a new section of the Wood Run Trail that starts immediately after the utility corridor on the right side of the road. This new section of trail connects back to Wood Run Road near the second gate at the Wood Run Hunt Camp area. This new section of trail is approximately 0.5 mile and is blazed with blue paint.
2. Supertree Trail:
Supertree is named for a stand of experimental Loblolly Pines along the route. Both ends connect to the east side of Wood Run Road. Ride this loop clockwise for more single-track downhill. This trail is 5 miles long.
3. Keyauwee Trail:
Keyauwee is named for the last band of Native Americans to live in the Uwharrie Lakes Region. Both ends connect to the west side of Wood Run Road. Ride this loop counter clockwise for more single-track downhill. This trail is 6 miles long.
Where Not to Ride
The Uwharrie and Dutchmen’s Creek hiking trails are not open to mountain bikes. These hiking trails are blazed with single white or yellow paint blazes. Please respect this rule and only ride on the Wood Run Mountain Bike Trails. These biking trails will be marked with the blue paint blazes.
At a Glance
|Operational Hours:||Open Year Round.|
Wood Run Trailhead is located on NC 24/27 between Albemarle and Troy and two miles east of the bridges over Lake Tillery / Pee Dee River.
This area has approximately 22 miles of trails.
|Toilets:||1 Vault Toilet at Wood Run Hunt Camp|
Alerts & Warnings
- 11/26 Appalachian RD- Hurricane Ridge Fire
- Uwharrie RD- Canebrake Horse Camp Temporary Closure
- Grandfather Ranger District Reopens Point Lookout Trail and Schoolhouse Ridge Rd
- Appalachian RD: Black Mountain and Briar Bottom Campground Closures
- Cheoah RD: Cheoah River, Cochran’s Creek River Access Facility Temporarily Close
- Cheoah RD: Fontana Loop Trail TR15, Portions of Bee Cove TR421 Temporarily Close
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest