Cradle of Forestry In America Heritage Site
Nestled below the Blue Ridge Parkway on the Pisgah National Forest is the birthplace of forestry in America - the Cradle of Forestry.
The Cradle abounds with ways to have fun while learning about the forest, traditional Blue Ridge culture, and forest management.
Paved trails - perfect for strollers and wheelchairs - put the forest at your fingertips.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||The Cradle of Forestry remains open but for the remainder of the 2021 season, we will be renovating the roof, which may impact your experience. Renovations will NOT be held on weekends. Thank you for your patience as we work to beautify this amazing historic gem! For more information call (828) 877-3130 or email Cradle@GoFindOutdoors.org|
|Operational Hours:||Operational Hours for 2021 are Wed-Mon through November 21
10:00 am to 5:00 pm
|Area Amenities:||Interpretive Site,Accessible,Fee charged for some activities,Toilets,Drinking water,Parking|
|Open Season:||April 9 - November 8|
|Operated By:||FIND Outdoors|
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Mountain BikingRecreation areas with activity Mountain Biking:
Day HikingRecreation areas with activity Day Hiking:
- Barnett Branch Trail #618
- Biltmore Campus Trail #006
- Buck Spring Trail #104
- Forest Discovery Center
- Forest Festival Trail #319
- Pink Beds Connector Trail #118A
- Pink Beds Loop Trail #118
- Thompson Creek Trail #602
Visitor ProgramsRecreation areas with activity Visitor Programs:
Interpretive AreasRecreation areas with activity Interpretive Areas:
Visitor CentersRecreation areas with activity Visitor Centers:
The Cradle of Forestry offers hands-on learning experiences in a forest environment.
Explore the Forest Discovery Center, join guided activities or go outside and walk the Biltmore Campus, Forest Festival or Discovery trails.
PicnickingRecreation areas with activity Picnicking:
|Fee charged for some activities:|
Alerts & Warnings
- Moss Knob and Dirty John Shooting Ranges temporary closure
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest