Fork Mountain Trail #109
7 mi - Difficult - This trail follows the ridgeline and ascends and descends frequently over several mountain tops most notably Birdstand Mountain. From the top of these mountains the view can be obscured by trees but the few glimpses you get will show vistas of the Middle Prong and Shining Rock Wilderness. This is a wilderness trail so do not expect any signs or blazes.
At a Glance
|Restrictions:||Hiking Trail: foot traffic only.|
|Operated By:||US Forest Service|
General InformationDirections: Just over a mile along the Ivestor Gap trail is the Fork Mountain trail. The entrance to the trail drops down a slope to the northwest and can be difficult to spot if you are not paying attention. You can also access the trail from Highway 215 on the northeast side of the road.
Alerts & Warnings
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest