Squirrel Gap Trail #147
7.5 mi - Moderate - From where this trail leaves the Bradley Creek Trail, it follows an easy grade to the old Mullinax homeplace where there is a grassy opening and remains of the house foundation. From here it becomes a side slope trail, continuing through upper hardwood forests. The trail winds in and out of several gaps, such as Mullinax Gap, Laurel Gap, Horse Cove Gap and Squirrel Gap. The trail finally descends to Wolf Ford where it intersects with the South Mills River Trail (#133). Only some parts of this trail are open to horses, so watch for trail signs, which state which uses are allowed. There are several trails which intersect this one, and many opportunities for longer hikes and rides.
Approximate Elevation Change: 900 feet
At a Glance
|Restrictions:||Mountain Biking Trail: Mountain biking and hiking trail. Bikers please yield to hikers. (Sections of trail open for equestrian use). Mountain biking prohibited in wilderness areas.|
|Operated By:||US Forest Service|
General InformationDirections: Follow the South Mills River Trail (#133) until it intersects Bradley Creek Trail (#351) before the first river crossing. Stay on Bradley Creek Trail until just past Pea Gap, where the Squirrel Gap Trail intersects.
Alerts & Warnings
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest