Poundingmill Trail #349
1.5 mi - Moderate - Poundingmill is a lightly used trail which connects the South Mills River and Squirrel Gap trails (#133 and #147, respectively). It is a moderate climb as the trail follows Poundingmill Branch almost the entire way. There are some stream crossings, though they are fairly shallow. The trail passes through several rhododendron thickets and young hardwood forests. After 0.4 miles, you will cross an old grass road, but the trail continues straight ahead. You will notice some forests with thick grass growing in the understory. In early summer, the observant will see Yellow Lady's Slippers alongside the trail. You may also notice signs of deer. The trail ends on the Squirrel Gap Trail (#147) in a shallow gap on the shoulder of Poundingstone Mountain. Check your map for a variety of loop opportunities in this area.
Approximate Elevation Change: 600 feet
At a Glance
|Restrictions:||Hiking Trail: foot traffic only.|
|Operated By:||US Forest Service|
General InformationDirections: Follow the South Mills River Trail (133) approximately 2.5 miles to Poundingmill Branch, where the trail begins.
Alerts & Warnings
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest