Black Swamp OHV Trailhead
This trail offers eight off-highway-vehicle trail miles for riders. The trail is designated for all-terrain vehicles and trail bikes. ATVs are defined as having seat to be straddled by the operator and a handlebar for steering, with three, four, or six wheels and under 60 inches in width.
Riding off-highway vehicles at Black Swamp OHV Trail on the Croatan National Forest requires a pass sold only on Recreation.gov.
At the website, search on Black Swamp OHV and select the 1-day pass for $5 or the annual pass for $30.
You don’t need to print a copy of the day pass. You can store the pass on your smart phone or other device and show it to confirm your purchase. If you buy an annual pass, you can print the pass to display on your tow vehicle.
- Each OHV needs a pass.
- You must enter the names for each rider and a license plate for each tow vehicle that will be at the trailhead. A state driver’s license must be available to show during a law enforcement compliance check.
- Passes can be downloaded to each rider’s phone or printed at home and carried on the trail. You can email and text passes to each rider if one person is making purchases for multiple riders.
At a Glance
|Fees:||Riding off-highway vehicles at Black Swamp OHV Trail on the Croatan National Forest requires a pass sold only on Recreation.gov. At the website, search on Black Swamp OHV and select the 1-day pass for $5 or the annual pass for $30.|
|Open Season:||Year round|
|Restrictions:||Children under 8 may not operate ATVs or motorcycles. Children under age 12 may not operate any ATV 70cc or larger. Children under age 16 may not operate any ATV 90cc or larger. Operators under 16 must be under the supervision of a person over 18 years of age. Helmets and eye protection are mandatory. No passengers allowed on ATVs, unless they are designed by manufacturer to carry passengers. Unlicensed vehicles are not allowed on designated Forest Service roads. Alcohol is prohibited on the trail system and in the dispersed camping areas. Spark arresters, mufflers, and brakes are required for all motorized vehicles.|
|Closest Towns:||New Bern, Havelock|
|Operated By:||USDA Forest Service, Croatan National Forest|
General InformationDirections: From US 70 E between New Bern and Havelock turn right onto FS1100. There will be a White church at this turn. Road will be paved and then turns to gravel. Cross the 2nd bridge and turn at the next left onto Black Swamp Road. OHV trail head is on the left.
OHV Trail RidingThis trail offers eight off-highway-vehicle trail miles for riders. The trail is designated for all-terrain vehicles, trail bikes and four-wheel drives with a wheel base less than 50 inches.
|Staging Area||Black Swamp OHV Trail head parking lot|
|Class of Vehicle||The trail is designated for all-terrain vehicles, trail bikes and four-wheel drives with a wheel base less than 50 inches.|
|Difficulty Level:||Easy to Intermediate|
Alerts & Warnings
- Point Lookout Trail will temporarily close for repairs beginning August 8, 2022
- Linville Gorge Camping Permits Required for Summer Weekends
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest