Brown Mountain OHV Trail System
Ride the Trail.The Brown Mountain OHV (off-highway vehicle) area, the only OHV area in the Pisgah National Forest, offers 34 miles of designated trails. Signs are located at the head of each trail section. A detailed map of the area is available for purchase.
These trails are mostly designed for trail bikes and ATVs. Jeeps and 4WD vehicles may only use Trail 8 and part of Trail 1. No bushwhacking or cutting vegetation is allowed. Restrooms and picnic facilities are available at the trailhead.
Be safe. Help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all visitors to the forest,
- Riders must have valid permits attached to their vehicles at all times. Daily and annual permits are available at several local vendors and at the Grandfather Ranger Station.
- Ride only on designated trails. Do not travel cross-country.
- OHVs are not allowed on forest roads
- Do not carelessly operate a vehicle without regard for another’s safety or in a way that could endanger any person or property.
- Do not operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in Brown Mountain OHV area or in campsites.
- Children under age 8 may not operate ATVs or motorcycles. Children under age 16 must have constant supervision of a person over 18 years of age.
- Don’t double-ride your OHV.
- Don’t operate a vehicle without a helmet.
- Don’t operate a vehicle with metal studs embedded in the tire or protruding from the tires.
- Don’t operate a vehicle in excess of the maximum noise limit allowed. The maximum is 99 dBu (taken stationary at 20 inches from the exhaust at a 45-degree angle).
Need a campsite? Primitive dispersed campsites are located along FR 299. If you are interested in more developed campsites, try Mortimer Campground, about nine miles from the Brown Mountain Trailhead.
At a Glance
|Operational Hours:||24 hours during open season.|
|Fees:||A trail pass is required to ride the trails. Fees are $5/day or $30 for a season pass. Passes can be purchased from local vendors. Contact Grandfather Ranger District at 828-652-2144 for a list of vendors. Passes must be prominently displayed on vehicle at all times while on the trails.|
|Open Season:||April 1 to January 1|
|Restrictions:||Children under 8 may not operate ATV's or motorcycles. Children under age 12 may not operate any ATV 70cc or larger. Children under age 16 may not operate any ATV 90cc or larger. Operators under 16 must be under the supervision of a person over 18 years of age. Helmets and eye protection are mandatory. No passengers allowed on ATV's, unless they are designed by manufacturer to carry passengers. Unlicensed vehicles are not allowed on designated Forest Service roads. Alcohol is prohibited on the trail system and in the dispersed camping areas. Spark arresters, mufflers, and brakes are required for all motorized vehicles.|
|Closest Towns:||Morganton and Lenoir|
General InformationGeneral Notes:
List of Vendors for Brown Mountain Passes Last Updated: 3/15/2022
CBS Sports – 911 N Green St., Morganton, NC 28655 – 828-437-7016
Craig Mountain Farms – 1547 Brown Mountain Beach Rd., Morganton, NC 28655 - 828-437-5003
Discount Beverage – 1150 N Green St., Morganton, NC 28655 – 828-433-1001
Oak Hill Grocery – 2375 Hwy 181 N, Morganton, NC 28655 – 828-437-3810
Rudisill’s Grocery – 3296 Playmore Beach Rd., Morganton, NC 28655 - 828- 754-6553
Jack B-Quick #10 – 900 Lenoir Rd., Morganton, NC 28655 – 828-433-0902
Collettsville General Store – 4175 Collettsville Rd., Lenoir, NC 28645 - 828-572-2400
Cubbard Express - 1426 Beecher Anderson Rd., Lenoir, NC 28645 – 828-754-9992
Wicked Thunder – 2766 Morganton Blvd SW, Lenoir, NC 28655 – 828-728-7633
Fun Cycles – 517 Abees Church Rd SE, Valdese, NC 28690 – 828-874-4680
Lenoir Automotive – 1540 Harper Ave., Valdese, NC 28645 828-754-2929
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
OHV CampingDispersed camping sites available in the area.
|Fire Information||fire rings and grills|
OHV Trail RidingThis area offers 34 miles of off-highway vehicle trails for riders. The trails are designated for all-terrrain vehicles,utilty vehicles,trail bikes and four wheel drives.
|Staging Area||Brown OHV trail head parking area.|
|Class of Vehicle||ATV's UTV's trail bikes and 4-wheel drive vehicles.|
|Difficulty Level:||Intermediate to Difficult|