Escondido Lake Trail #1320
SETTING: Creek valley, old-growth forest, meadows, lake.
From its junction with Trail 1329, this trail heads uphill through forest along the north side of Escondido Creek, which is often out of sight in the trees below. There are several steep stretches on this trail, but the overall grade is fairly easy. Near the lake, the trail passes by and through some meadows along the creek. Then it reaches the edge of a large meadow and turns left to the lake.
At a Glance
|Operational Hours:||June - October|
|Fees:||$5/vehicle/day or Northwest Forest Pass, or Interagency Pass required at trailhead Salmon La Sac, Pete Lake. Discover Pass not valid on National Forest lands.|
|Permit Info:||Wilderness Permit required for entry into Alpine Lakes Wilderness. Self-issue at trailhead bulletin board. Deposit stub and attach remainder to a pack or saddle bag.|
|Open Season:||Early July - Late October|
|Restrictions:||Mountain bike and motorized use prohibited. Other Wilderness Regulations apply.|
|Closest Towns:||Cle Elum, Roslyn|
Not commonly a day hike destination since the roundtrip is 14+ miles.
|Difficulty Level:||More to Most Difficult|
Total distance from the Pete Lake trailhead is about 7 miles, making this a good destination with nice camping options at the lake. Campfires are permitted but please use existing fire rings and do not build new ones. Fire scars make quite a cumulative impact over time!
Escondido Lake is a fine destination for both a day ride or an overnight. If horsepacking, remember no grazing or tethering stock within 200 feet of lake. Camp in one of the two existing well used horsecamps near the large meadow northwest of the lake. Overnight hitching directly to trees is prohibited. Use highline, pickets, or electric fencing. Pack processed (pellets) feed.
Alerts & Warnings
- Fireworks and Exploding Targets Prohibited on National Forests
- Twisp Area: Road #4400-45 and Dispersed Recreation Area Closure
- Twisp Area: Louis Lake Trail Bridge Closed
- Mazama-Winthrop-Twisp Area: Cedar Creek Fire Area Closure
- Twisp Area: Road 4415-030 Closure
- Winthrop Area: Cub Creek 2 Fire Area Closure
- Lake Wenatchee Area: Road #6304 Bridge Closure
- Entiat - Lake Wenatchee Area: Upper Mad River Seasonal Trail Closure
- Cle Elum Area: French Cabin Creek Bridge Closure
- Leavenworth Area: Construction Delays on Snow Lakes Trail
- Interactive Area Closures Map
- Ellensburg Area: Rider's Camp Closed for 2022
- Naches Area: Boulder Cave Trail / Day Use Site: Open
- Forest Office Access Restricted
- Target Shooting Info