Esmeralda Basin Trail #1394
From the trailhead, the trail heads up a steep slope along the river for about 0.5 mile and intersects with the Ingalls Way Trail 1390. Beyond the junction, the trail grade moderates as the trail goes on into Esmeralda Basin through meadows and groups of trees. There are some switchbacks along the trail as it continues upwards. Past the junction with County Line Trail 1226.2 (formerly a part of 1394 which heads north towards Lake Ann), the trail goes over a ridge and then down a series of switchbacks into the south fork of Fortune Creek, where it ends at the junction with Fortune Creek Jeep Trail.
At a Glance
|Operational Hours:||June - October|
|Fees:||$5/vehicle/day or Northwest Forest Pass, or Interagency Pass required at trailhead. Discover Pass not valid on National Forest lands.|
|Open Season:||Late June - Late October|
|Best Season:||August to early October|
|Busiest Season:||August to early October|
|Restrictions:||Motorized use prohibited. E-Bikes (with full electric motor power or pedal assist) are not allowed.|
|Closest Towns:||Cle Elum|
Access from Esmeralda Trailhead
Facilities include lot and roadside parking, stock ramps, toilet, picnic tables.
No trailer turnaround available beyond DeRoux Horsecamp.
Trail does much vertical climbing, expect hike-a-bike and near technical riding.
|Difficulty Level:||More to Most Difficult|
Combine with Boulder-DeRoux Trail #1392 for a well known loop hike.
Fine backpacking opportunities with a loop opportunity combining Lake Ann, camping possibilities in upper De Roux basin, and/or Gallagher Head Lake.
De Roux Campground is a horse camp with steel poles to attach highlines. From there connect to Esmeralda Basin Trail via a trail paralleling the North Fork Teanaway River. Good opportunities exist to loop back via Boulder/De Roux Trail #1392 passing Gallagher Head Lake.
Alerts & Warnings
- Pasayten Wilderness Fire Area Trail Closures
- Minnow Ridge Fire Area Closure
- White River - Irving Peak Fire Closure / Update
- Buck Creek Pass Fire
- Campfires Not Allowed on National Forest
- Fireworks and Exploding Targets Prohibited on National Forests
- Twisp Area: Louis Lake Trail Bridge Closed
- Mazama-Winthrop-Twisp Area: Cedar Creek Fire Area Closure
- Winthrop Area: Cub Creek 2 Fire Area Closure
- Lake Wenatchee Area: Road #6304 Bridge Closure
- Cle Elum Area: French Cabin Creek Bridge Closure
- Interactive Area Closures Map
- Ellensburg Area: Rider's Camp Closed for 2022
- Naches Area: Boulder Cave Trail / Day Use Site: CLOSED
- Target Shooting Info