Longs Pass Trail #1229
From its junction with 1390 in a rocky meadow, the trail switchbacks up a steep, bare, rocky mountainside, sometimes following an old mining “road” built in the 1930s. After a long mile, the trail reaches the top of the ridge where there are good views of Mount Stuart and the surrounding mountains. This trail is primarily a route for climbers on their way to Mount Stuart. The Alpine lakes Wilderness boundary is at the pass where an unmaintained climber route descends into Ingalls Creek. Dogs are prohibited in this area.
At a Glance
|Operational Hours:||June - October|
|Fees:||$5/vehicle/day or Northwest Forest Pass, or Federal Interagency Recreation Pass required at trailhead. Discover Pass not valid on National Forest lands.|
|Permit Info:||Wilderness permits are required. The self-issuing permits are free and are available at trailheads.|
|Restrictions:||Hiker-only. Wilderness regulations apply. See: Alpine Lakes Wilderness Regulations Booklet.|
|Closest Towns:||Roslyn, Cle Elum|
From Cle Elum follow Hwy 970 approximatly 8.5 miles. Turn left on Teanaway Road and follow it for 13 miles to the end of the pavement. Veer right on Forest Road 9737 and follow for about 9.6 miles to the Esmeralda Trailhead.
Parking for about 40 vehicles. This parking lot often is full by 9AM, have a plan B.
There is no trailer turn around at this trailhead once it fills.
Do not park in a manner that blocks other vehicles or prevents large emergency vehicles from passing.
Alerts & Warnings
- Pasayten Wilderness Fire Area Trail Closures
- Minnow Ridge Fire Area Closure
- White River - Irving Peak Fire Closure / Update
- Buck Creek Pass Fire
- Campfires Not Allowed on National Forest
- Fireworks and Exploding Targets Prohibited on National Forests
- Twisp Area: Louis Lake Trail Bridge Closed
- Mazama-Winthrop-Twisp Area: Cedar Creek Fire Area Closure
- Winthrop Area: Cub Creek 2 Fire Area Closure
- Lake Wenatchee Area: Road #6304 Bridge Closure
- Cle Elum Area: French Cabin Creek Bridge Closure
- Interactive Area Closures Map
- Ellensburg Area: Rider's Camp Closed for 2022
- Naches Area: Boulder Cave Trail / Day Use Site: CLOSED
- Target Shooting Info