Grief Hill Day Use Area / Trailhead
Trailhead accesses trail that was an old wagon route built in 1864. It’s steep and treacherous with beautiful vistas. Builder and rancher King Woolsey charged soldiers and civilians two cents per mile for its use in the old days.
Provides access to:
- No drinking water
- No garbage service- Please pack it out
At a Glance
|Closest Towns:||Camp Verde, AZ|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
- This site has ample parking, with turn-around for trailers and a hitching rack for horses.
From Camp Verde, AZ: Northwest on Hwy 260 to Cherry Rd. (County Rd 75 which is 2.7 miles north of I-17). Left on Cherry Rd. for 2.2 miles. Trailhead is on the left. (Note: Cherry Rd. is only paved for part of the way to the trailhead, but is accessible to passenger vehicles during dry weather.)
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
- Mountain bikes are allowed to use this trail.
- A favorite exercise route for locals. For more information please visit: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/recreation/trails/verde/index.shtml
- This trail is popular with equestrians. For more information please visit: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/recreation/trails/verde/index.shtml
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands