Homestead Trail #305
Homestead Trail #305 travels north through ponderosa pine and oak forest, and connects several sites within the Lynx Lake Recreation Area. Among these sites are Hilltop Campground and Lynx Campground, the Highlands Center for Natural History, and Lynx Ruin Trail #301. From the trailhead, this trail climbs for a short distance, offering sweeping vistas of the pine-covered Bradshaw Mountains before dropping down to follow Smith Ravine. The trail crosses a number of intermittent streams where wild rose and columbine flowers grow beside the creek bed. Many of the rock types exposed along the trail are metamorphic varieties similar to what one finds in the lower reaches of the Grand Canyon. This trail ends at the trailhead for Ranch Trail #62.
This trail is open to hikers and mountain bikers. Please be considerate of other users—slow down and know when to yield the trail. Please refrain from using bikes when the trail is wet.
This trail is located in the Lynx Lake Recreation Area.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Spring - Fall|
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 25 minutes from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
General InformationGeneral Notes:
- Connecting trails: Lynx Ruins Trail #301, Highlands Trail #442, #443
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quads for Groom Creek, Prescott, and Poland Junction
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 4 hours, one way
To reach the southern trailhead, travel east on Hwy 69 to Walker Road. Turn right and continue 5.1 miles to Bannie Mine Road (also FR 30) and turn left. The trailhead is approximately 30 yards down the road, on the left. Parking is fair.
To reach the northern trailhead, travel east on Hwy 69 to Walker Road. Turn right and travel 0.6 miles to the trailhead serving Trail #305 and Trail #62, on the right. Parking is good.
Road conditions are suitable for all vehicles.
- An attractive ride through ponderosa pine forest that connects several sites within the Lynx Lake Recreation Area.
- A long hike through ponderosa pine forest that connects several sites within the Lynx Lake Recreation Area.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands