Thumb Butte Bypass Trail #326
Thumb Butte Bypass Trail #326 is part of a network of trails serving the Thumb Butte area. This trail begins in well-shaded pine forest and briefly meanders along the southern bank of Miller Creek before turning sharply and continuing uphill. As this trail climbs into higher country it enters more open terrain and there are some lovely views of the surrounding hills and valleys. At its far end, the trail meets up with Potts Creek Trail #327.
Thumb Butte Bypass Trail #326 connects with several other trails, which can be combined in different ways to create a variety of loops. One popular route, open to hikers only, is to travel on Trail #326 to its junction with Thumb Butte Spur Trail #314, and then take Trail #314 to the top of Thumb Butte Trail #33. The views from here are spectacular. Hikers can return to the parking area on either leg of Trail #33. This loop is approximately 2.7 miles long. Another route, available to all non-motorized users, is to take this trail to Garden Grove Trail #392. Trail #392 winds downhill to Miller Creek Trail #367, which provides a truly beautiful passage back along Miller Creek to the lower portion of Trail #326. This loop covers roughly 3.7 miles.
This trail is open to hikers, horseback riders, and mountain bicyclists. Please be considerate of other users—slow down and know when to yield the trail. Portions of the trail pass through areas where there are many standing snags. Please watch for falling trees and use extra caution in windy conditions.
- Thumb Butte Brochure (2.67 MB; Color; 8.5” X 17”)
- Trail #326 Description and Map (884 KB; Black and White; 8.5” X 11”)
- South Thumb Butte Trail Descriptions and Map (734 KB; Black and White; 8.5” X 11”)
- Thumb Butte Trails and Area Map (1.41 MB)
At a Glance
Day-use site and trailhead:
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 10 minutes from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
From downtown Prescott, travel west on Gurley Street (becomes Thumb Butte Road) for 3.4 miles to the Thumb Butte Picnic Area, on the right. The trail begins across the road from the picnic area, just west of Thumb Butte Trail #33. Please note that there is no horse trailer parking in the recreation area. Horseback riders can access Trail #326 farther up Thumb Butte Road via Miller Creek Trail #367, but parking here is limited. Road conditions are paved.
- Connecting trails: Miller Creek Trail #367, Garden Grove Trail #392, Circle Connection Trail #322, #327, Butte Connection Trail #323, Thumb Butte Spur Trail #314
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quad for Iron Springs
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 1 hour, one way
- Thumb Butte Bypass Trail #326 crosses rolling terrain with moderate elevation change.
- A great alternative to Thumb Butte Trail #33, Thumb Butte Bypass Trail #326 can be combined with other nearby trails to create a variety of loop hikes.
- There is no horse trailer parking in the Thumb Butte Recreation Area. Horseback riders can access Thumb Butte Bypass Trail #326 via Miller Creek Trail #367, but parking here is limited.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands