Garden Grove Trail #392
Garden Grove Trail #392 is part of a network of trails serving the Thumb Butte area. This trail begins in well-shaded pine forest and crosses Miller Creek as well as a number of drainages that carry water in early spring. A variety of wildflowers can be seen in these areas, along with the birds and insects that pollinate them. This trail begins to switchback up a ridge about three-quarters of a mile from the trailhead. The climb is short, but somewhat steep. It levels out again in oak and juniper woodland where it ends at its junction with Thumb Butte Bypass Trail #326 and Circle Connection Trail #322.
This trail connects with other trails that can be combined to create a variety of loops. One suggested route, available to all non-motorized users, is to travel Trail #392 to Trail #326. Take Trail #326 northeast as it winds downhill to Miller Creek Trail #367, which provides a truly beautiful passage back along Miller Creek to the beginning of the Garden Grove Trail #392. This loop covers roughly 3.5 miles.
This trail is open to hikers, horseback riders, and mountain bicyclists. Please be considerate of other users—slow down and know when to yield the trail. Portions of the trail pass through burned areas. Watch for loose rocks and falling snags. Use extra caution in windy conditions.
- Garden Grove Trail #392 Trail Description and Map (691 KB; Black and White; 8.5” X 11”)
- Thumb Butte Brochure (2.67 MB; Color; 8.5” X 17”)
- Thumb Butte Trails and Area Map (1.41 MB; Color; 8.5” X 11”)
At a Glance
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 12 minutes from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
From downtown Prescott, travel west on Gurley Street (becomes Thumb Butte Road) for 3.4 miles to the Thumb Butte Picnic Area, on the right. Continue on Thumb Butte Road for another 0.9 miles to the trailhead on the left. Parking is along the side of the road. There is room for 2-3 vehicles. The road condition is paved, then graded dirt. It is suitable for all vehicles.
- Connecting trails: Circle Connections Trail #322, Thumb Butte Bypass Trail #326, Miller Creek Trail #367
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quad for Iron Springs
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 45 minutes, one way
- The lower portion of Garden Grove Trail #392 is suitable for all skill levels. Upper portions, however, are steep and narrow.
- Garden Grove Trail #392 can be combined with other nearby trails to create a variety of attractive loop hikes.
- Garden Grove Trail #392 provides horseback riders with access to the Thumb Butte area. Please note, however, that parking is limited.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands