Javelina Trail #332
Part of the Prescott Circle Trail, Circle Trail #332 rises and falls over the hilly terrain of Arizona’s central highlands. Exposed slopes of chaparral and pinyon-juniper woodland are interspersed with shady groves of ponderosa pine where a variety of bird calls can be heard ringing out from among the trees. There are nice views of both Thumb Butte and Granite Mountain—Prescott’s most prominent landmarks. This trail is notable because it provides a route between these two features. As of July 2010 there are multiple unmarked trails on the south side of Iron Springs Road. This trail is the one that follows a portion of the old Santa Fe railroad grade, just past a locked gate.
This trail is open to hikers, horseback riders, and mountain bicyclists. Please be considerate of other users—slow down and know when to yield the trail. Refrain from using horses and bikes when the trail is wet.
- Javalina Trail #332 Trail Description and Map (896 KB; Black and White; 8.5” X 11”)
- Thumb Butte Brochure (2.67 MB; Color; 8.5” X 17”)
- Thumb Butte Trails and Area Map (1.41 MB; Color; 8.5” X 17”)
- Granite Basin Brochure (120 KB; Color; 8.5” X 17”)
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Fall - Spring|
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 15 minutes from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
From downtown Prescott, travel west on Gurley Street (becomes Thumb Butte Road) for 3.4 miles to the Thumb Butte Picnic Area. Continue another 0.9 miles to the trailhead on the right. Do not block the gate. Parking is poor.
Alternately, the Circle Trail #322 may be accessed from Iron Springs Road. From its intersection with Williamson Valley Road travel northwest on Iron Springs Road 1.5 miles to Granite Basin Road. Continue another 1.5 miles to the turnoff on the left. Just before the turnoff is a sign indicating that the trail crosses the roadway. Parking is fair. From here the trail can be followed northeast to the Granite Basin Recreation Area, or south towards Thumb Butte.
Routes are suitable for all vehicles.
- Yavapai Trails Association - Prescott Circle Trail Maps and Guide
- Connecting trails: #346, West Trail #318: see North Thumb Butte Trails
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quad for Iron Springs
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 4 hours, one way
- A pleasant ride between the area surrounding Thumb Butte and the Granite Basin Recreation Area.
- A long hike that begins near Thumb Butte and ends at Granite Basin Recreation Area.
- Equestrian amenities are available near the northern end of the trail, at the Cayuse Equestrian Trailhead within the Granite Basin Recreation Area.
Alerts & Warnings
- Crooks Fire Closure Order Effective May 18, 2022
- STAGE 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS NOW IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 1
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands