Almosta Trail #622
Although it is only half an hour from downtown Prescott, Almosta Trail #622 possesses a remote quality that encourages experiences of tranquility and solitude. Travelers are left to their thoughts and to the subtle rhythms of slow-moving shadows, snakes and scrub jays. This trail traverses a landscape of rolling hillsides strewn with granite boulders. Pinyon pine, alligator juniper, cactus, and scrub oak line the path. There are stunning views of both Granite and Baby Granite Mountain from various points along the way. While this trail connects with several others, many of these routes are impractical day hikes. However, the collective length of these trails creates outstanding opportunities for scenic horseback rides.
Expect hot, dry conditions and meager shade during the summer months.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Year Round|
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 25 miles from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
From its intersection with Iron Springs Road, travel north onWilliamson Valley Road for 12.5 miles to Almosta Ranch Road. Turn left on Almosta Ranch Road and proceed 0.7 miles to the trailhead on the left. Parking is good. This is a county trail. Follow the county trail to Almosta Trail #622, which begins at the forest boundary. Road conditions are paved.
- Connecting trails: North Granite Trail #671, Jim Higgs Trail #1937, #1959
- USGS Map: 7.5' quad for Jerome Canyon
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
Average hiking time: 2.5 hours, one way
- This is a long, rolling trail that connects to several others on the north side of Granite Mountain.
This trail traverses a landscape of rolling hillsides strewn with granite boulders. Although it connects with other trails, most of these routes are impractical day hikes. Consider TR 622 an out-and-back hike.
- This trail, designed with horseback riders in mind, traverses a landscape of rolling hillsides and connects with several other trails to create outstanding opportunities for long, scenic rides.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands