Sand Wash Trail #527
Sand Wash Trail #527 may be the most popular OHV trail on the Verde Ranger District. This trail begins in the Hayfield Draw OHV Recreation Area, where it is the main thoroughfare passing through the cross-country travel area and into the rolling hills that lie beyond it. The expansive russet and tan colored landscape is studded with bright creosote bush, dusky scrub oak, and other low elevation species. Visitors may see quail, rabbits, and other animals along the trail. This trail is rated easy for those comfortable operating their ATV or motorcycle in sand. The trail meets up with several others as it travels west towards FR 361. Take Aultman Trail #546 to Middle Sand Wash Trail #525 for an interesting loop back to the recreation area. Hayfield Draw offers approximately 80 acres of motorized trails and cross-country areas for all OHV ability levels.
Hayfield Draw OHV Recreation Area is a day use area only, open to off-highway vehicles less than 50” wide. Always wear protective equipment. Operate vehicles in designated OHV areas only. Portions of this trail may be overgrown with brush and/or washed out by large storms.
Printable Trail Description and Map (529 KB PDF; 8.5” X 11”)
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Year Round|
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 15 minutes from Camp Verde, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
From the Verde Ranger Station in Camp Verde, travel west on Hwy 260 for 9.1 miles to Hayfield Draw OHV Recreation Area, on the left. Parking is good.
To reach the west trailhead, drive west on Hwy 260 from the Verde Ranger Station for 6.3 miles to Cherry Creek Road (also CO 75). Turn left and travel 6.2 miles to FR 361. Turn right and go 1 mile to the trailhead on the right. Parking is poor.
Road conditions are suitable for all vehicles.
- Connecting trails: Middle Sandwash Trail #525, Blue Monster Wash Trail #526, Aultman Trail #546
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quads for Middle Verde and Cornville
- Prescott National Forest Map, east half
OHV Trail Riding
- The main thoroughfare through the Hayfield Draw OHV Recreation Area, this trail is rated easy for those who are comfortable operating their ATV or motorcycle in sand.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands