Red Mountain Trail #43
From its beginning at the junction with Prospectors Trail #42, Red Mountain Trail #43 descends into a rugged canyon that houses several springs. Steep pitches and rock scrambles provide technical challenge as the trail switchbacks down through pinyon-juniper woodland and chaparral into more heavily-wooded country. Near the springs, the canyon is lush with Gambel oak, Arizona walnut, and some rather large alligator junipers. This is an excellent place to rest in the shade and listen to the sounds of birds flitting from one tree to the next. This trail comes to an end just beyond this oasis at Charcoal Gulch Trail #9419.
This is a multiple-use trail. Please be considerate of other users—slow down and know when to yield the trail. This trail is open to motorcycles. ATVs are prohibited.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Spring - Fall|
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 15 minutes from Prescott, AZ to Trail #9263|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
Red Mountain Trail #43 is an internal trail, accessed by way of Prospectors Trail #42. From downtown Prescott travel east on Hwy 69 to Walker Road. Turn right and go 1.2 miles to the sign for Lynx Creek Ruin. Turn left onto Lynx Creek Road (FR 9401) just after the sign. Travel 0.8 miles past the Day Use area, bearing right down the hill and continuing to the end of the road. There is a large improved lot with ample parking for both single vehicles and horse trailers.
Travel on Salida Connection Trail #9263 for 2.7 miles to Trail #42. It is another mile on Trail #42 to the beginning of Trail #43.
Road conditions are paved, then graded dirt and are suitable for all vehicles.
- Connecting trails: Prospectors Trail #42, Charcoal Gulch Trail #9419
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quad for Prescott Valley South
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 1 hour, one way
- This trail offers a challenging ride into a beautiful, rugged canyon. This trail is open to OHVs—please be alert.
- This trail offers a challenging hike into a beautiful, rugged canyon. This trail is open to OHVs—please be alert.
OHV Trail Riding
- This trail is open to motorcycles. ATVs are prohibited.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands