Ranch Trail #62
Ranch Trail #62 begins in manzanita, pinyon pine, mountain mahogany, and low-growing oak. It climbs considerably to its junction with Boy Scout Trail #126, where Government Canyon lies to the west. From here this trail continues its ascent, offering panoramic views of Lynx Lake, Prescott Valley, Bill Williams Mountain and the San Francisco Peaks. At the trail’s higher elevations, one might spot mule deer, Abert’s squirrels, and wild turkeys. This trail enters ponderosa pine forest before coming to an end at Seven Mile Gulch Trail #9854. The eastern portion of Trail #9854 travels down to Walker Road, while the western end connects with Watershed Trail #299. Trail #299 travels roughly 3.0 miles before it reaches Senator Highway.
This trail is open to hikers, horseback riders, and mountain bicyclists. Please be considerate of other users—slow down and know when to yield the trail. Refrain from using horses and bikes when the trail is wet.
There is one vault toilet and a picnic table at the trailhead.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Year Round|
|Closest Towns:||Approximatetly 20 minutes from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
Travel east on Hwy 69 to Walker Road. Turn right and travel 0.6 miles to the trailhead on the right. The trailhead is signed. There is a large parking area for 12 vehicles on the south side and up to 10 horse trailers on the north side. Road conditions are paved.
- Connecting trails: Boy Scout Trail #126, Seven Mile Gulch Trail #9854
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quads for Prescott and Groom Creek
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 1.5 hours, one way
- Mountain bikers may prefer to approach this steep trail from its junction with Trail #9854.
- Due to its steep elevation gradient, this trail traverses several vegetation types and offers nice views.
- There is parking for up to ten horse trailers at the trailhead, however other equestrian amenities are not available.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands