Dandrea Trail #285
Dandrea Trail #285 travels through what was once bustling mining territory. Old mines dot the surrounding hills and there are large clearings where home sites or camps used to be. A portion of the trail itself is an old road, which climbs out of the small mountain community of Potato Patch to an open saddle just below the lookout tower on Mount Union. Mount Union, at 7,979’ is the highest point in the Bradshaw Mountains, as well as in Yavapai County. Ponderosa pine, fir, and Gambel oak stand tall among a dense carpet of grasses and wildflowers. There are aspens along the trail, as well. At the saddle, this trail crosses Yankee Doodle Trail #284 and then winds its way down to Old Dandrea Ranch. Watch for wildlife along the trail. This area, high in the mountains, is home to a wonderful array of songbirds.
This trail is open to hikers, horses, mountain bikes, and OHVs. Please use caution and watch for other users. Motorized vehicles may not exceed 50” in width. Portions of this trail are steep and rocky—please watch your step.
At a Glance
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 45 minutes from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
From its intersection with Gurley Street, travel south on Mt Vernon Street as it becomes Senator Highway (also FR 52). Proceed 10.8 miles to Walker Road. Turn left onto Walker Road and travel 1.2 miles, through the community of Potato Patch, to Poachers Row. Turn right and go 0.3 miles to the trailhead at the end of the road. Parking is poor. Road conditions are suitable for most vehicles in dry conditions.
- Connecting trails: Yankee Doodle Trail #284
- USGS Map: 7.5’quad for Groom Creek
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 1.5 hours, one way
- A lovely hike through the highest reaches of the Bradshaw Mountains.
- A pretty ride through the highest reaches of the Bradshaw Mountains. Please note that the trailhead does not easily accommodate horse trailers.
OHV Trail Riding
- A ride through the highest reaches of the Bradshaw Mountains. Motorized vehicles may not exceed 50” in width.
Alerts & Warnings
- Crooks Fire Closure Order Effective May 18, 2022
- STAGE 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS NOW IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 1
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands