Surprise Spring Trail #350
Surprise Spring Trail #350 offers a gentle hike or ride within the Granite Basin Recreation Area. While the first portion of the trail passes through shady stands of ponderosa pine, this trail soon enters rocky, exposed country where large boulders tower over chaparral covered hillsides. There are some great views of Granite Mountain from these open areas. A pleasant hike on its own, this short trail can be paired with Balancing Rock Trail #349 for those interested in a longer route. This trail can also be used to connect Group Camp and Yavapai Campground via Yavapai Connector Trail #355.
This trail is open to hikers and mountain bicyclists. Please be considerate of other users—slow down and know when to yield the trail. Dogs must be on leashes; please clean up after pets. Restrooms are available at the parking area, but not on trail. Other amenities at the trailhead include covered picnic tables, grills, and trash service. There may be a site host on duty.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Year Round|
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 20 minutes from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Available in parking area. Surface water should be treated.|
From its intersection with Willow Creek Road, travel northwest on Iron Springs Road for 3 miles. Turn right onto Granite Basin Road and proceed 3.1 miles to the Wekuvde Day-Use Area on the right. There is ample parking. This area is open from dawn to dusk; hours change seasonally. To reach this trail, walk across FR 374 to the access road for Group Camp. The trailhead is on the left. Road conditions are paved.
- Connecting trails: #349
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quad for Iron Springs
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 30-45 minutes, one way
- This gentle trail offers some terrific views of Granite Mountain to mountain bikers of all ability levels.
- This gentle hike passes through ponderosa forest, chaparral, and even a small open meadow.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands