Thumb Butte Trail #33
Due to its proximity to downtown Prescott, Thumb Butte Trail #33 is one of the most popular and heavily used hiking trails on the Prescott National Forest. Signs along the trail identify vegetation and explain forest ecology. The trail climbs steeply to a ridge just below the rocky crest of Thumb Butte. Here, Groom Creek Vista offers spectacular panoramic views of the Prescott area, Bradshaw Mountains, Sierra Prieta Mountains, Granite Mountain, Mingus Mountain, and, on clear days, the San Francisco Peaks. During certain times of the year, peregrine falcons nest on the rugged basalt crags of Thumb Butte. There may be closures in place to protect their habitat—please obey all posted signs.
This trail is open to hikers only. Dogs must be on leashes; please clean up after your pets. Drinking water and other amenities are available at the Thumb Butte Picnic Area, but not on the trail itself.
At a Glance
Day-use site and trailhead:
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 10 minutes from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
From downtown Prescott, AZ: Travel west on Gurley Street (becomes Thumb Butte Road) for 3.4 miles to the Thumb Butte Picnic Area, on the right. The trail begins just across the road from the picnic area. Please note that there is no horse trailer parking in the recreation area. Road conditions are paved.
- Connecting trails: #314
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quad for Iron Springs
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: 1 hour, round trip
- This popular trail climbs to a ridge just below the rocky crest of Thumb Butte, one of Prescott’s most prominent landmarks.
Alerts & Warnings
- Crooks Fire Closure Order Effective May 18, 2022
- STAGE 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS NOW IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 1
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands