Groom Creek Horse Camp
The horse campground has been completely renovated, utilizing volunteer donations and labor, plus Forest Service grant money. 12 new corrals were installed, plus tie-lines relocated and 2 additional water outlets were added. Both a volunteer host and a volunteer custodian are on duty to assist visitors. The horse campground is quite spacious and suitable for even the largest RVs.
- 36 campsites with picnic tables, stand-up grills, fire rings, horse tethers, and hitching racks
- 2 group picnic sites with picnic tables, stand-up grills, and fire fings
- 30 corrals (16 foot x 16 foot)
- Drinking water
- Vault toilets
- Garbage service
At a Glance
|Reservations:||Reservations must be made at least 3 days in advance and can be made up to 6 months in advance at Recreation.gov or call 1 (877) 444-6777. One loop is available on a first-come, first-served basis.|
|Closest Towns:||Prescott, AZ|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
From downtown Prescott, take Gurley Street east to Mt. Vernon Avenue. Take Mt. Vernon (Senator Highway, Forest Road #52) south for approximately 6.5 miles to Groom Creek. The Horse Camp is just 0.7 miles south of the center of Groom Creek. Trailhead for Groom Creek Loop Trail #307 is east across Forest Road #52 from the campground.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
- See description under "facilities" above.
- Across the road from the trailhead to the Groom Creek Loop Trail #307, an 8.7 mile non-motorized loop which passes by the Spruce Mountain Lookout Tower where there are picnic tables and a vault toilet.
Alerts & Warnings
- Verde Ranger District Office Closed for Training Tuesday, 9/27/22
- There are currently NO FIRE RESTRICTIONS in effect on Prescott NF
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public safety
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands