Yankee Doodle Trail #284
Yankee Doodle Trail #284 is one of the longest trails on the Prescott National Forest. It ascends Longfellow Ridge, and follows along the top for several miles. This part of the Bradshaw Mountains is remote and scenic, thickly forested with ponderosa pine. As this trail travels north, it continues to gain elevation, cresting Yankee Doodle Peak and skirting the west face of Moscow Peak, before approaching Mount Union. At 7,979’ Mount Union is the highest point in the Bradshaw Mountains, as well as in Yavapai County. A short trail coming off of the Yankee Doodle Trail #284 leads to the picnic area and fire lookout tower on top of the peak. Travelers may visit the lookout when it is manned. Not surprisingly, the views from this high point are spectacular. This trail continues down the other side of Mount Union where ponderosa pine, fir, and Gambel oak stand tall among a dense carpet of grasses and wildflowers. This area, high in the mountains, is home to a wonderful array of songbirds.
This trail is open to hikers, horses, mountain bikes, and OHVs. Please use caution and watch for other users. Motorized vehicles may not exceed 50” in width, and are prohibited on the portion of trail that ascends Mount Union between Forest Road 261 and Dandrea Trail #285. Sections of this trail are steep and rocky. There is no dependable source of water along this trail—please come prepared.
Printable Trail Description and Map (589 KB PDF; 8.5” X 11”)
At a Glance
|Closest Towns:||Approximately 1.5 hours from Prescott, AZ|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
From its intersection with Gurley Street, travel south on Mt Vernon Street as it becomes Senator Highway (also FR 52). Proceed 16.7 miles to the junction with Bodie Mine Road (also FR 82). Make a slight right onto Bodie Mine Road and travel 2.3 miles to 82A. Turn left onto 82A and proceed 3.2 miles to the trailhead on the left. Parking is poor. 4WD recommended on FR 82 and FR 82A.
- Connecting trails: Dandrea Trail #285
- USGS Map: 7.5’ quads for Groom Creek and Battleship Butte
- Prescott National Forest Map, west half
- Average hiking time: : 7 hours, one way
- This trail is best used as an overnight backpacking trip.
- This remote and scenic 12-mile trail passes through the Bradshaw Mountains. There is no dependable source of water along the trail—please come prepared.
OHV Trail Riding
- This remote and scenic 12-mile trail passes through the Bradshaw Mountains. Motorized vehicles may not exceed 50” in width, and are prohibited on the portion of trail that ascends Mount Union between Forest Road 261 and Dandrea Trail #285.
Alerts & Warnings
- STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT; RESTRICCIONES DE FUEGOS ETAPA 2 EN EFECTO
- Fossil Creek & Forest Road 708 Closed until 12/31/22 for public health and saf
- Target Type restrictions implemented across the Prescott NF
- Temporary Camping Restrictions along Highway 260 and Salt Mine Road Corridor
- Drones Use on Forest Service Lands