Devil's Head Lookout Tower
The Devils Head Fire Lookout Tower is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The base of the tower can be reached via the Devils Head Trail (#611), a 1.4 mile long route with an elevation gain of 865'. The lookout is situated at 9,748' elevation.
The site is historically significant for its long association with conservation efforts of the US Forest Service in Colorado. In 1907 the newly created Forest Service planned seven principal lookouts along the Front Range of the Rockies between New Mexico and Wyoming. Devils Head was selected to be the location of one of these lookouts. It was one of only four lookouts that were eventually established; three in Colorado, and one in Wyoming. In addition to Devils Head, there were Twin Sisters near Estes Park, Squaw Peak near Mt. Evans, and Medicine Bow Peak in Wyoming. The site has been in continuous use since 1912 and is the last full time lookout in Colorado. In addition, Devils Head was the duty station of the first female fire lookout in America.
At a Glance
|Operational Hours:||The lookout will be closed for the 2021 season for safety of district employees and for repairs.|
|Open Season:||Mid-June - October|
|Restrictions:||The following are restrictions to this area:
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
|Information Center:||Contact the South Platte Ranger District at 303.275.5610 for more information.|
The Devils Head Trailhead can be reached by traveling approximately ten miles west of Sedalia on Highway 67 to the Rampart Range Road. Turn left (south) on the Rampart Range Road for approximately eight and one-half miles to the Trailhead.
The lookout may be open to public visitation when staffed.
Parking is available at the trailhead, or at the overflow area located at the junction of NFSR300.