Grouse Gap Sno-Park
Grouse Gap Sno-Park is located near the summit of Mt. Ashland, and is the access point to the Mt. Ashland Southside (Grouse Gap) Nordic Ski Trail System. A popular place starting place for snowshoers and crosscountry skiers, Grouse Gap Sno Park is located at the far end of the Mt. Ashland Ski Area parking lot.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
CHAIN AND TRACTION TIRE REQUIREMENTS
PLEASE NOTE: There is more than 2,000 vertical feet of elevation gain on the road from I-5 to the Mt. Ashland Ski Area parking lot. Winter driving conditions can change rapidly in the mountains. It is recommended to carry tire chains.
When you travel in winter conditions, you must carry chains or traction tires in or on your vehicle, and must use them, when required by the signs posted. Under some conditions, four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles may be exempt from the requirements to use chains.
For more information on Oregon’s chain and traction tire requirements, go to Oregon Department of Transportation travel web page, Tripcheck.
WINTER DRIVING CHECKLIST
Traveling in Oregon’s snow country can be hazardous, especially if you are caught in a severe storm. Know predicted weather conditions before you go!
The following checklist will help you be prepared in case you must travel during heavy snow.
- Is there sufficient anti–freeze in your radiator?
- Are the windshield wipers in good condition, and is the reservoir filled with winterized washer fluid?
- Are the muffler and exhaust system in good condition? A leaking exhaust system can fill a closed car with carbon monoxide gas.
- Is the gas tank filled? Long waits during storms are common.
- Is the defroster in good working order?
- Extra equipment— The following items will help you in case of an emergency, such as getting stuck in a snowbank:
- Small shovel
- Bag of sand, rock salt or a skid mat
- Ice scraper and brush to remove ice and snow from your vehicle
- Rags or paper towels to clean the windshield.
- Battery booster cables
- Warm, waterproof clothing, boots and gloves
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Emergency food supply
- Extra drinking water
At a Glance
|Fall through Spring
|Siskiyou Mountains Ranger District
From Ashland, OR, drive south approximately 9.2 miles on Interstate 5 to the Mt Ashland Road / Mt Ashland Ski Road. Continue on Mt Ashland Ski Road (Forest Road 20) for approximately 10 miles. Sno-Park is located at the gate at the back of the parking lot, at junction with Forest Road 40S15.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information