Viewpoint Trails - Harr Ridge Trail #947
Trail Information: The Harr Ridge Trail is part of the Viewpoint Trails. The Viewpoint Trails are 5 short trails that all offer excellent vistas of Applegate Lake and the surrounding mountains. All trails can be accessed via the Squaw Creek Arm parking area, with the exception of Viewpoint Trail #970A.
HARR RIDGE TRAIL #947 (0.3 mile): This trail offers opportunities to see examples of old-growth Douglas-fir and ponderosa pine forests. The trail begins at the Tipsu Tyee campground, and is a gradual 0.3 mile climb to the ridgeline. The junction with Culy Trail is soon reached, before the trail descends to the junction with the Cut Off Trail.
Considerations: Carry plenty of water, as there is no water in the campgrounds located along the trail.
Harr Point, and Tipsu Tyee campgrounds have fire pits, toilets and picnic tables. The campsites are available on a first-come first-served basis.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Year Round|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
|Information Center:||Siskiyou Mountains Ranger District|
Access #1: (French Gulch Trailhead) From Ruch, OR, travel south on Upper Applegate Road (County Road 859) for approximately 14.8 miles, and turn left (east) onto French Gulch Road (County Road 959), crossing the dam. Continue on French Gulch Road for approximately 1 mile to the French Gulch Trailhead, located on the right.
Access #2: (Squaw Creek Arm) From Ruch, OR, travel south on Upper Applegate Road (County Road 859) for approximately 14.8 miles, and turn left (east) onto French Gulch Road (County Road 959), crossing the dam. Continue on Rd. # 1075, 3 miles to the junction with Rd. # 100. Turn right on to Rd. # 100 and continue 0.5 miles to the signed Squaw Creek Arm parking area.
- Connecting trails: Outdoor Study Trails: Calsh Trail #971, Osprey Trail #973, Prospectors Loop Trail #974, Sinns Bar Trail #972; Payette Trail #970
Alerts & Warnings
- Effective 9/20: Wild and Scenic Lower Rogue River Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
- Illinois River Swinging Bridge Closure
- Butte Fork Trail Bridge in Red Buttes Wilderness Closed Through July 2023
- Effective 7/27: Forest-Wide Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
- Understanding Parking and Fire Restrictions on the Illinois River
- Bear-Human Interactions on the Rise!