Chimney Camp Trail #1279
07/2019: FS Road 1205, off of the South Bank Chetco River Road, is closed due to three road failures that were a result of the April 2019 storm event. The trail is only accessible from the south trailhead at this time.
The trail follows an old road that parallels Wheeler Creek, offering a shaded day hike with picnicking and swimming along the way. The remains of an old rock chimney are located at the southern trailhead. All but the northern portion of the trail can be hiked year-round from the southern trailhead. Two fords (no bridges provided) at the north should be crossed with care when creek level allows. Fording creek is not recommended in the winter. This trail does allow many types of users, so please be considerate of one another.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||07/2019: FS Road 1205, off of the South Bank Chetco River Road, is closed due to three road failures that were a result of the April 2019 storm event. The trail is only accessible from the south trailhead at this time.|
|Open Season:||Spring - Fall|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
|Information Center:||Gold Beach Ranger District|
- USGS: Fourth of July Creek
- Trail is not designed for: ATV, 4-wheel drive, barrier free
- This trail is near Winchuck Campground (area is unavailable). The Ludlum House Group Site is available for rent as well.
Alerts & Warnings
- Effective 9/20: Wild and Scenic Lower Rogue River Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
- Illinois River Swinging Bridge Closure
- Butte Fork Trail Bridge in Red Buttes Wilderness Closed Through July 2023
- Effective 7/27: Forest-Wide Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
- Understanding Parking and Fire Restrictions on the Illinois River
- Bear-Human Interactions on the Rise!