Alta Lake Trail #979
This lightly traveled trail begins at Wallowa Creek and climbs two miles to the open forest land on the south slope of Gopher Ridge within Sky Lakes Wilderness. The trail continues on to junction with the Middle Fork Trail #978, King Spruce, and Seven Lakes Trail #981. Good camping areas present both to the east and west of Alta Lake on high ground.
Water is present only at Boulder Pond and Alta Lake. Boulder Pond may be dry by September. No horse feed available at Alta Lake.
- Connecting trails: Middle Fork Trail #978, King Spruce, Seven Lakes Trail #981
- Trail is not designed for: mountain bike, motorized bike, ATV, 4-wheel drive, barrier free
|Difficulty Level:||More to Most Difficult|
|Difficulty Level:||More Difficult|
Alerts & Warnings
- Effective 7/1: Wild and Scenic Lower Rogue River Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
- Remember: Fireworks are ILLEGAL on public lands!
- Bear-Human Interactions on the Rise!
- Seasonal Alcohol Prohibition on Recreation Section of Illinois River
- Illinois Falls Trail Bridge Closure
- Red Buttes Wilderness Trail Bridge Closure