McPhee Reservoir, the largest in the San Juan National Forest and second largest in Colorado, has 50 miles of shoreline in piñon, juniper, and sagebrush country. The McPhee Campground is on a mesa 500 feet above the reservoir, with road access to the McPhee Boat Launch area.
The McPhee Campground has 71 campsites on 2 loops with paved access. There are 50 reservable campsites, 24 sites with electric hookups, and 2 sites offer tables and toilets accommodating wheelchairs. A dozen campsites are walk-ins with tent pads near scenic overlooks.
The adjacent McPhee Group Area has 4 group campsites available for reservation (with limited electrical hookups). There are volleyball posts, a ball field, and horseshoe pits (you supply the equipment).
Services include potable water, trash pickup, vault toilets, picnic tables, and fire grates. Between October and May, there are no services (water, trash pick up or restrooms). Please keep the campground clean and pack out any trash!
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Check out our Campground Status for up-to-date information.|
|Reservations:||Reservations available online at recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.|
Electrical Hookup: $35
|Open Season:||May - September (limited services Sept - Nov)|
|Closest Towns:||Dolores, CO|
|Restroom:||Flush Toilets (9)|
|Information Center:||Dolores Ranger District|
Barrier-free sites are available.
- McPhee Boat Site: Boat ramps are closed unless there are mussel inspectors on site. Six-lane concrete boat ramp, fish-cleaning station, two courtesy boat docks, flush toilets, drinking water.
- Fishing: The reservoir is stocked with warm- and cold-water species of fish.
- McPhee Marina: There is a a full service marina and boat launch open May through October. Vendors provide boat rentals, daily fishing information, BBQ grills, depth finder, fishing rods and tackle as well as snacks and meals. Dry Boat storage available. Closed Monday and Tuesdays. Open through August.
- Can Do Trail to Ridge Point Overlook: Trail climbs 1/2 mile to a scenic overlook, Ridge Point with panoramic views of the reservoir and the beautiful peaks surrounding Mesa Verde to the south. At the overlook there are signs that identify prominent landmarks. The trail then loops down the mesa to the boat-launch area.
- McPhee/House Creek Bike Route: This mountain bike route follows paved and gravel roads, with views of House Creek drainage.
From Dolores, CO: Travel south on Highway 145 and west on Highway 184 for about 7 miles to County Road 25. Turn north off this road and into the McPhee Recreation area complex on Forest Road 271.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information