Pine Point Campground
Midway up the Vallecito Reservoir lakeshore, Pine Point campground has 28 sites, including 13 first-come, first-serve spots. This campground boasts gorgeous views of high peaks to the northwest.There are several pull-thru and larger sites for trailers and RVs. Some are near the water, but the area is not well protected for mooring boats. A sheltered area for boats and an open play area are just south.
Services include water, trash pickup, fire grates, picnic tables, and pit toilets. Bear-safe food storage is recommended. Commercial development on the east side of the reservoir is limited to resorts north of the campground which have camping services, but gasoline is not available.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Check out our Campground Status for up-to-date information.|
|Reservations:||Reservations can be made online at www.recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777|
|Open Season:||May - September|
|Closest Towns:||Vallecito, Bayfield, Durango|
|Restroom:||Vault Toilet (4)|
|Information Center:||Columbine Ranger District|
From Durango, CO: Travel 17 miles on Florida Road, County Road #240. Turn left onto County Road #501. After 4 miles, slight right onto Forest Road #603 for about 3 miles to campground entrance. Campground is located on the east side of Vallecito Reservoir.
From Bayfield, CO: Travel 14 miles north on County Road #501, then about 3 miles northeast on Forest Road #603 to campground entrance. Campground is located on the east side of Vallecito Reservoir.
- Vallecito Reservoir: The reservoir is a very popular fishing spot, with anglers going after German brown trout, cutthroat trout, rainbow trout, kokanee salmon, and northern pike.
- North Canyon Trail: This popular trail for horseback riders takes off just across the road from the campground. The trail takes you through ponderosa pine and aspen forests. A scenic overlook of Vallecito Reservoir is available on a side trail along the way.
- East Creek Trail: This popular trail for horseback riders is reached by driving about 1/4 mile up Forest Rd. 852, northeast of the campground entrance.
- Old Timers Picnic Area: Old Timers is on the south shore of Vallecito Reservoir, south of the campground. Eleven well-shaded sites provide a cool, intimate setting on a gentle hillside near the water.
- Nearby Forest Service Campgrounds: Middle Mountain Campground - north on Forest Road 603. Graham Creek Campground and North Canyon Campground - south on Forest Road 603
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information