North Canyon Campground
Located near Vallecito Reservoir, North Canyon Campground provides 21 sites including 9 first-come, first-serve sites. This area is a bit more open than Graham Creek Campground and has large ponderosa pines scattered throughout. Willows separate the campground from Vallecito Reservoir, underbrush separates campsites for privacy, and paths lead to the water. There are several sites suitable for larger sized RVs.
Services include water, trash pickup, fire grates, picnic tables, and restrooms. Bear-safe food storage is recommended. The only commercial development on the east side of the reservoir is the resorts just north of Pine Point which have most camper services, but gasoline is not available.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Check out our Campground Status for up-to-date information.|
|Reservations:||Reservations can be made online at www.recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777|
|Open Season:||May - September|
|Closest Towns:||Vallecito, Durango, Bayfield.|
|Restroom:||Vault Toilet (3)|
|Information Center:||Columbine Ranger District|
From Durango, CO: Travel 17 miles on Florida Road, County Road #240. Turn left onto County Road #501. After 4 miles, slight right onto Forest Road #603 for 2.5 miles to campground entrance. Campground is located on the east side of Vallecito Reservoir.
From Bayfield, CO: Travel 14 miles north on County Road #501, then 2.5 miles northeast on Forest Road #603 to campground entrance. Campground is located on the east side of Vallecito Reservoir.
- Vallecito Reservoir: The reservoir is a very popular fishing spot, with anglers going after German brown trout, cutthroat trout, rainbow trout, kokanee salmon, and northern pike.
- North Canyon Trail: This popular trail for horseback riders takes off just across the road from the campground. The trail takes you through ponderosa pine and aspen forests. A scenic overlook of Vallecito Reservoir is available on a side trail along the way.
- East Creek Trail: This popular trail for horseback riders is reached by driving about 1/4 mile up Forest Rd. 852, northeast of the campground entrance.
- Old Timers Picnic Area: Old Timers is on the south shore of Vallecito Reservoir, 2 miles south of the campground. Eleven well-shaded sites provide a cool, intimate setting on a gentle hillside near the water.
- Nearby Forest Service Campgrounds: Middle Mountain Campground and Pine Point - north on Forest Road 603. Graham Creek Campground - south on Forest Road 603
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information