San Gorgonio Mountain Trail 1E02
This trail is just under a half mile long and runs from the junction with the San Bernardino Peak Trail 1W07.2 and the Sky High Trail 1W07.2 to the summit box, offering a unique view of the Sand to Snow National Monument.
Did you know?
- At 11,499 feet, San Gorgonio Mountain is the highest peak in California south of the Sierra.
- The peak is one of eleven peaks that are over 10,000 feet in elevation in the southeast portion of the San Bernardino Mountains.
- In 1852, the summit of the nearby10,624 - foot San Bernardino Peak provided the initial baseline and meridian from which all land surveys for Southern California originate.
- The San Gorgonio Mountain maintains the longest recorded line of sight in the contiguous United States – it is plainly visible from the summit of Mount Whitney, 190 miles away.
- The San Bernardino Mountains are unique in that they have an east–west orientation, making them transverse to the general north–south orientation of most of California's coastal mountains.
At a Glance
|Permit Info:||Wilderness Permit Required|
|Information Center:||Mill Creek Visitor Center
34701 Mill Creek Road
Mentone, CA 92359 1-909-382-2882 Thursday thru Monday. (Closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays)
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information