Custer Town Site Interpretive Site (major)

  

Empire Saloon at Custer Townsite

Free guided and self-guided walking tours are available Memorial Day - Labor Day during business hours. The School house is the museum with gifts and refreshments available at the Empire Saloon during the summer season. Custer was founded in early 1879 by gold speculators. Economically supported by the operations of the Lucky Boy and Black mines, Custer reached its peak population of 600 in 1896. By 1910 Custer had become a ghost town. The Challis National Forest took ownership of the area in 1966, and in 1981, Custer was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Through the efforts of the Friends of Custer Museum, the site was kept open for public enjoyment. In 1990, the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation joined the Forest Service in managing Custer. This led to the establishment of the Land of the Yankee Fork Historic Area.

At a Glance

Current Conditions: Open Memorial Day through Labor Day for guided tours.
Reservations: No reservations
Fees no fee
Open Season: 5/25
Usage: Heavy
Closest Towns: Stanley
Water: bottled water sold by volunteer association
Restroom: Vault Toilet (1)
Operated By: Forest Service

General Information

Directions: From Stanley:Drive 11 miles east on Highway 75 to the Sunbeam Dam overlook. Turn left onto forest road #013 for about 9 miles. From Challis:Drive 42 miles west on Highway 75 to the Sunbeam Dam overlook. Turn right onto forest road #013 for about 9 miles.

Recreation Map

Map showing recreational areas. Map Information

Activities


Outdoor Learning

Show detail SHOW

Picnicking

Show detail SHOW
Areas & Activities

Location

 
  Latitude : 
44.38729

  Longitude : 
-114.69680

  Elevation : 
6300

 

Middle Fork Trail Management Zones

Middle Fork District Trails & Recreation by Area Link opens in a new window

 



https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/scnf/recarea/?recid=76176