Winding Stairs Trail
A 75-foot waterfall tucked away along this moderate, 3.5-mile trail helps make the Winding Stairs Trail one of the ﬁnest beginner trails in northwest South Carolina. If you start at the northern trailhead at the Cherry Hill Recreation Area, this meandering path is an easy hike because it drops 1,100 feet over its entire length. If you are looking for a more demanding hike, start at the southern trailhead on Tamassee Road (FS 710). Either way, this is a great hike for beginners.
Click here for a printable guide and vicinity map.
At a Glance
|Restrictions:||Primitive camping is allowed, but campsites must be more than 50 feet from streams and trails, and more than .25 miles from roads.|
Travel time 2 hours
Alerts & Warnings
- Bridge closure on FS road 305 on Enoree Ranger District
- New digital payment options and online reservations at Enoree recreation sites
- Supervisor's Office not issuing passes until June 29
- No potable water at Parsons Mountain Recreation Area
- Please be aware of open well hazards on Sumter National Forest