Elmwood Recreation Area
This recreation area is located in the northeastern portion of the Francis Marion National Forest. It’s a popular camp during deer and turkey hunts on the Waterhorn Hunt Unit. The area also serves as a South Carolina Department of Natural Resources game check station during big-game hunting season.
Click here for a printable guide.
At a Glance
|Area Amenities:||Tent camping,Picnic tables,Toilets|
|Fees:||Free of charge|
|Open Season:||All year|
|Restrictions:||Stay is limited to 14 days.|
General InformationDirections: From Charleston, take US Highway 17 north past McClellanville to Rutledge Road (SC Route 857-S). Turn left onto Rutledge Road, and drive four miles to Elmwood Recreation Area.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Big Game Hunting
|Picnic tables:||Grills are available|
|Tent camping:||14-day maximum stay in all areas|
Alerts & Warnings
- Bridge closure on FS road 305 on Enoree Ranger District
- New digital payment options and online reservations at Enoree recreation sites
- Damaged bridges along the Enoree Passage of Palmetto Trail; exercise caution
- No potable water at Parsons Mountain Recreation Area
- Please be aware of open well hazards on Sumter National Forest