Boggy Head Rifle Range
The Francis Marion National Forest offers two range facilities for still target shooting: Boggy Head and Twin Ponds. The ranges were designed with firearm enthusiasts in mind and can accomodate pistols, rifles or shotguns. Please remember to bring your own paper targets.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Boggy Head Rifle Range will be closed Monday, June 6th for maintenance work and for crews to check wildfire containment lines in the immediate area. The range will open back up to the public Tuesday, June 7th for normal operations. Please observe all safety rules, use only paper targets and pack out all trash. Please call 843-336-2200 for more information.|
|Operational Hours:||Daylight hours only.|
|Fees:||The FMS is interested in hearing your thoughts on a proposal that has been circulating since August of 2017, to charge fees at seven national forest shooting ranges. More information on fee proposal|
|Closest Towns:||Moncks Corner|
|Information Center:||If you are interested in volunteering to keep your rifle ranges clean, please call the Francis Marion National Forest at (843) 336-2200.|
Just north of Moncks Corner, S.C. on US Highway 17-A, turn right onto SC Highway 402. Drive 15 miles to SC Highway 41. Turn left and continue nine miles to the rifle range entrance on the right.
Best practices for using the rifle range:
- Keep the rifle range free of litter.
- Only stationary paper or manufactured targets mounted on self-provided stands or holders. Using bottles, cans, pumpkins, watermelons etc. or other trash as targets is prohibited.
- Targets and target holders must be positioned at the base of the berm, to catch all bullets and eliminate the chance of ricochet.
- Use eye and ear protection.
- Follow the four rules of gun safety:
- Treat all guns as if they are loaded
- Control your muzzle: Keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond.
- Keep your finger outside of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Target Shooting100-yard backstop, shooting tables
Alerts & Warnings
- Bridge closure on FS road 305 on Enoree Ranger District
- New digital payment options and online reservations at Enoree recreation sites
- Damaged bridges along the Enoree Passage of Palmetto Trail; exercise caution
- No potable water at Parsons Mountain Recreation Area
- Please be aware of open well hazards on Sumter National Forest