Fresno Dome Trail
For a moderately challenging climb and a wonderful place to picnic, watch the sunrise or set, and star gaze hike to the top of Fresno Dome. Pack some food & water, a jacket, and flashlight, and you can linger long enough to catch the sun melting away into the hazy Western horizon. The best access to this hike is from the nearby Fresno Dome Campground, although convenient access can be found from Grey's Mountain Campground as well as, Nelder Grove Campground.
To reach the Fresno Dome trailhead, drive 4.1 miles North of Oakhurst on HWY 41 and turn onto road 632 signed Sky Ranch Road. This becomes Forest Rd (6S10) to Kelty Meadow, then lose the pavement as you follow signs for Fresno Dome Campground (still 6S10). You will reach a junction just before Fresno Dome Campground, and continue on road (6S10) to the right for another 2.8 miles to the turnoff for the Fresno Dome trailhead.
The Fresno Dome trail is 1.6 miles long roundtrip. The trail crossess a meadow, climbing gently, before pitching steeply up a barren slope to the summit of Fresno Dome. Although the dome is rocky, the footing isn't bad. It is the view from the top of the dome, that makes it worth all of the effort to get there.
To the East, the high Sierra form a serrated wall of snow and granite. To the West, the San Joaquin Valley shimmers in the Summer heat and on a clear day the Coastal range 100 miles away can be seen. To the South, the evening lights of Fresno twinkle at dusk or dawn. All around you peace, solitude, and tranquility reign. The trail is open for the following uses: Hiking
At a Glance
|Operational Hours:||Day Use|
|Best Season:||Summer to late Fall|
|Information Center:||Bass Lake Ranger District
57003 Road 225
North Fork, CA 93643 (559) 877-2218 Hearing Impaired
California Relay Service 711
For more information click here.
Alerts & Warnings
- 05-15-00-23-05 SNF Rec-Site-Road-Trail Closure
- Sierra National Forest Order No. 05-15-00-23-02-SNF-Rec-Site-Road-Trail-Closure
- 05-15-00-22-28 Rec, Sites, Road & Trails Closure
- Bass Lake Ranger District plans to initiate winter/spring prescribed burning
- High Sierra Ranger District plans fall/winter/spring prescribed fire projects
- Forest Order 05-15-00-22-27 SNF-Rec-Site-Road-Trail-Closure
- Forest Order No. 05-15-00-21-25 SNF Parking Restrictions
- Forest Order No. 05-15-00-21-24 SNF Camping Restrictions
- High Sierra Ranger District will be changing hours of operation
- Recreation Fee Program Accomplishment Highlights 2021
- Public Meeting Creek Fire Ecological Restoration Project Video
- Seasonal Visitors Center Closure