Pinecrest Recreation Area is located at Pinecrest Lake, a 300-acre lake owned and operated by Pacific, Gas and Electric Company. It is located 30 miles east of Sonora on State Highway 108. The Recreation Area lies in a timbered setting at an elevation of 5,600 feet. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife regularly stocks Pinecrest Lake with rainbow trout. Groceries and other services are available at the Pinecrest commercial center. Recreational opportunities available at the Pinecrest Recreation Area include:
- Three hundred campsites with tables, grills, flush toilets and potable water in two campgrounds (Pinecrest Campground and Meadowview Campground)
- Three group campsites with tables, grills, fireplaces, vault toilets and potable water in 1 group campground (Pioneer Trail Group Campground)
- Day Use Sites: Pinecrest Boat Launch; 50 picnic sites with grills, flush toilets and potable water in one picnic area (Pinecrest); Designated swimming area.
- Fishing: Accessible fishing pier and boat launch available.
- Hiking: Pinecrest National Recreation Trail, a 4 mile hiking trail around the lake; paved pathways connecting points of interest. In winter, the Pinecrest Recreation Area is a popular destination for snowplay, downhill and nordic skiing at Dodge Ridge Ski Resort. Groomed or marked ski trails are maintained for winter recreationists throughout the area.
Fish Your National Forests: This site can be accessed by Passenger Car; Fish available include: Trout; Types of fishing available include: Wade, Shore, Motorized boat, Float tube, Fly, Spin, Bait; ADA Accessible fishing access with fishing pier and boat launch
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Summit Ranger District (HWY 108)|
|Operational Hours:||Hours are 6am to 10pm|
|Area Amenities:||Accessible,Boat ramp,Tent camping,Camping trailer,Picnic tables,Toilets,Drinking water,Parking|
|Fees:||No fee to launch a boat|
|Permit Info:||A valid California state fishing license is required to fish in the National Forest. Licenses are sold at sporting good outlets in many department and other retail stores. Make sure to pick up a current state fishing regulation guide with your license, for information on fishing times and limits. Contact California Department of Fish and Wildlife for more information.|
|Best Season:||Spring, Fall, and Winter|
|Busiest Season:||Memorial Day through Labor Day|
|Water:||Drinking fountains located at restroom buildings|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
Accessible fishing access.
Pinecrest Lake is located 30 miles east of Sonora on State Highway 108.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Lake and Pond Fishing
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife regularly stocks Pinecrest Lake with rainbow trout. Groceries and other services are available nearby at the Pinecrest commercial center. In addition to the campgrounds shown above, Forest Service developed recreation facilities include:
- Pinecrest Boat Launch
- Fifty picnic sites with grills, flush toilets and potable water in 1 picnic area (Pinecrest)
- Designated swim area (no dogs permitted in swim area)
- Accessible fishing pier
- Pinecrest National Recreation Trail, a 4 mile hiking trail around the lake
|Fish Species||rainbow trout|
Boating - Motorized
Boating - Non-Motorized