Sand Lake Rustic Campground
Sand Lake Rustic Campground is a small two site campground in a grove of cedar on the shore of Sand Lake. The sites are immediately adjacent to the turn around at the end of the road and share a carry down canoe access to the lake. The road leading to the campsites is in part a two track low maintenance road, but is flat and easily driven. However, due to this portion of the road and the limited turning space at the end of the road, this camping area is not recommended for RV use.
Note that while this campground is in the Kawishiwi District, it is closer to the Isabella Work Station office. Both the Kawishiwi and Isabella offices should be used as sources for further information.
At a Glance
|Reservations:||This campground does not accept reservations.|
|Fees:||There is no fee at rustic campgrounds.|
|Restrictions:||Maximum of nine people per site. There is space for one vehicle and one towed vehicle (such as a boat trailer). Additional vehicles on the site must park on the spur. No vehicles may park on the grass or where they impede traffic.|
|Water:||No potable water available – lake water must be treated.|
|Restroom:||Outhouse (vault style)|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
|Information Center:||Tofte Ranger District 218-663-8060
Kawishiwi Ranger District 218-365-7600
From MN 61 at Silver Bay:
- Turn at the traffic light on MN 61 at Silver Bay. You will be on Co 5, also called Outer Drive, or the Superior National Forest Scenic Byway.
- Drive through Silver Bay. The road name will change several times even though you will be on the same road. The Superior National Forest Scenic Byway will remain constant.
- Follow the Scenic Byway, and you will end up on Co 15. Continue for approximately 18 miles to Co 2.
- Turn right (north) on Co 2, drive 15 miles.
- Turn left on Sand Lake Road.
- A short distance down Sand Lake Road, veer left onto the two track road labeled Sand Lake Access. There is a camping icon with an arrow at this intersection.
The campground is at the end of the road.
Alternatively, take MN 1 towards Ely from MN 61 at Little Marais.
- Drive through Finland and Isabella to Co 2, approximately 35 miles.
- Turn left on Co 2, drive 6 miles to Sand Lake Road on right.
- Proceed to campground as above.
There is no garbage pick up at Sand Lake Rustic Campground. Plan to pack out all your garbage, including fish remains from cleaning fish.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
- Please use facilities provided such as fire rings, tent pads, and latrines.
- Pack out all waste, do not burn paper or other garbage.
- Water from lakes must be treated, boiled, or filtered before use.
- Noise limits enforced, respect your fellow campers.
|No. of Sites||2|