Vermilion Gorge Trail
At a leisurely pace, this 1 1/2 mile trail can be hiked in 3 hours. The trail has scenic views and interpretive signs along the way. The last portion of the trail parallels the Vermilion River, a rugged landscape of sheer granite cliffs and rock outcrops. Stay on the trail and be careful with children because the trail has steep cliffs nearby.
At a Glance
|Permit Info:||None required.|
|Closest Towns:||Orr, MN|
|Operated By:||USDA Forest Service|
|Information Center:||LaCroix Ranger District, 218-666-0020|
Located in the community of Crane Lake 27 miles northeast of Orr, MN.
- From Orr, take St. Louis County 23 to Buyck (16 miles)
- At Buyck, County 23 turns into County 24. Continue on County 24 to Crane Lake.
- Continue thru Crane Lake.
- Continue left of the Voyageurs National Park office.
Parking lot on left; trailhead on right-hand side of parking lot.
Note: Look for the trailhead sign. Don't confuse this trail with the snowmobile trail further in the parking lot.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- High Water and Flooding Across the Forest
- Greenwood Closure Area Updated May 10, 2022
- Closure: Some Trails End Campsites and Nearby Rec Areas
- Border Route Trail Tornado and Current Conditions
- Spring road wt restrictions: St Louis, Lake, Cook County, see Current Conditions
- Sturgeon River Trail Partial Closure